The ex-Peter Black Car Museum, from the collection of the late Sam Garrett
1914 Warrick 6hp Carrier Tri-Car Milk Float
Chassis no. 641
Engine no. 641
* 723cc single-cylinder 5/6hp
* 2-speed gearbox
* External contracting brake on the rear wheel
* Semi-elliptic suspension and tiller steering
* Formerly in the Peter Black Museum
* Complete with period accessories
* Well documented with exceptional provenance
The John Warrick & Co. Ltd. company of Reading built approximately 2,000 commercial vehicles between 1911 and 1925, this particular example being number 641 and dates from 1914. Leaving the passenger tri-car market to the likes of A.C. with their 'Sociable' model, Warrick specialized in commercial goods vehicles for the home market though a small number of chassis were exported to New Zealand and saw service as passenger vehicles while another four chassis went to Scotland Yard. Popular with tradesman as a small delivery vehicle, this particular Warrick was used as a milk float and retains all its original equipment, including churn, handset and measuring ladles. The frame consists of two parallel U-section side members supporting the forecarriage ending in a narrow 'U' in which the primary drive and engine are mounted. The engine is a Warrick design and is mounted beneath the driver's seat, with twin external flywheels designed to assist with slow running and to drive propeller-style cooling fans. Ignition is by a large chain drive Bosch magneto and the Brown & Barlow carburetor is gravity fed from a dash-mounted tank.
Accompanying the vehicle is the old-style log book dating back to 1921 (the first year registration became compulsory), with only three registered keepers in England listed. The earliest recorded owner was one William Francis Fitzgibbon of London SE1 (then of Ramsgate, Kent) before passing to Cyril Hoser of Margate in 1960. The Warrick subsequently became part of the famous Peter Black collection when purchased at auction in 1969 and spent a number of years on display at his museum in Keighley, reportedly being featured in a Catherine Cookson film and used on the occasional event. Dated by the Veteran Car Club as a 1914, with a letter on file noting that the only modification to the vehicle was the magneto fitted which dated from a year or two after the car was built, the car also has a Historic Commercial Vehicle Club Certificate of Date. Eligible for numerous events, including the popular Pioneer Run and still wearing the original UK plates 'LL 3587', the tri-car is finished in black and yellow and exhibits a lovely patina of age. The Warrick was featured on the front cover and in an extensive article by Michael Sedgwick in the February 1967 edition of Veteran & Vintage magazine. Well documented and with a known chain of ownership, this Warrick harkens back to an earlier, simpler time and is a charming reminder of what life was like in idyllic Edwardian England.
Auction terms and conditions