1942 Harley-Davidson WLA Civilian
Engine no. 44WLA12994
"Prolific" best describes the W series of Harley-Davidsons. The 45ci (750cc) flathead V-twin was introduced in 1929 as the Model D. The simple, reliable engine would remain in production for the next four decades, used in WL street bikes, WR race bikes, WLA military bikes and three-wheeled Servi-Cars, the latter being produced until 1973! Starting in 1940, some 90,000 WLA and WLC (Canadian military) models rolled off Milwaukee production lines before hostilities ceased, the bikes seeing action in just about every theater of the war and serving with most of the U.S. allies.
"De-mobbed" Harleys like this example from the Hobday collection traded olive-drab paint for two-tone schemes and extra chrome, helping meet the upsurge in demand for motorcycles during the immediate postwar years and doing much to establish the brand's reputation worldwide.
- Please note that the title for this motorcycle is in transit.
Auction terms and conditions