1925 Henderson Four
Frame no. D10660A
Engine no. 3781144
How's this for irony? The fast four-cylinder Henderson was a favorite of speed demons and officers of the law who chased after them! After Ignaz Schwinn purchased the company in 1917, upgrades and improvements were constant, and wheelbase shrank to a more sporting 58 inches. In 1920 came a complete redesign, the Model K, now with an 80ci (1300cc) engine, the first motorcycle powerplant to employ a full-pressure lubrication system.
More and more police departments nationwide were ordering Hendersons. The smoothness of the four-cylinder was a sales point, as was its flexibility a Henderson could be lugged down to below 10 mph in top gear then smoothly accelerate away. But it was the bike's outright speed that sealed the deal. A favorite fleet-sales technique was to have a PD's assembled brass stand on a closed-down stretch of highway while a Henderson flashed by at 100 mph. Point made: Nothing on the road could outrun a Henderson Four.
Purchased some ten years ago, this nicely restored '25 Henderson took pride of place in the Hobday collection.
- Please note that the title for this motorcycle is in transit.