1950 Velocette 149cc LE
Registration no. MKM 994
Frame no. 6132
Engine no. 5795
Launched in 1948, as the 'motorcycle for everyman', the Velocette LE addressed the criticisms most often levelled at motorcycles - that they were noisy, dirty and needed special clothing to ride - achieving impressive levels of silence, comfort and practicality. Sadly for the LE, its arrival coincided with the start of the scooter boom; asked to compete against Italian style, Velo's ugly duckling never stood a chance, even after the sidevalve flat twin's performance had been boosted by a capacity increase from 149 to 192cc in 1950. It was however, a big success with police forces, for which its attributes were more important than its appearance, gaining the sobriquet 'Noddy Bike' as a result.
Last taxed for the road to July 1966, this LE was purchased privately by the vendor's father in 1975 and comes with the associated bill of sale. Additional paperwork consists of the original buff logbook and old/current Swansea V5/V5C documents.