c.1951 Sunbeam 489cc S7
Frame no. S7 4278
Engine no. S8 5201
A wartime design by Erling Poppe, the Sunbeam inline twin was introduced by BSA, owners of Sunbeam Cycles Limited, in 1947. A luxury tourer inspired by the pre-war BMW, it was of advanced specification with overhead-camshaft engine, shaft drive and plunger rear suspension. The clutch housing and four-speed gearbox bolted directly to the back of the engine, which was rubber mounted in the duplex loop frame, an innovation that required a flexible joint in the exhaust system ahead of the silencer. The first S7 version was equipped with balloon tyres, a feature not carried over to the deliberately more conventional, and also lighter and cheaper, S8 introduced in 1949. The front fork and 7" brake were now standard BSA components, and there were numerous other changes made in the interests of rationalisation. Never as popular as BSA's more performance orientated models, the gentlemanly S7 and S8 remained in production until 1957.
The current vendor's father recalls that he purchased this S7 from Clifford Holder of Holder's Garage, Congresbury. Mr Holder had bought the machine from a local parson, who had toured Europe on it during his holidays. There are no documents with this Lot.