c.1935 Velocette 249cc MOV
Registration no. GHU 2
Frame no. MD9345
Engine no. M3703
In 1933 Veloce Limited augmented its overhead-camshaft range with an overhead-valve 250 - the MOV - that would spawn an entirely new range of ohv singles. The newcomer's engine was a 'high-camshaft' design with enclosed valves, and the compact and spritely machine featured a four-speed gearbox equipped with the company's new foot-change mechanism. The following year an overhead-valve 350 built along MOV lines appeared. This was the long-stroke MAC, subsequently bored out to create the 500cc MSS. Post-war, Velo's overhead-valve trio continued much as before, with rigid frames and - initially - Webb girder forks. The MOV was dropped at the end of 1948 but the MAC soldiered on into the 1960s, gaining an alloy engine top end and Velocette's own telescopic fork for 1951, and a swinging-arm frame in 1953.
The current vendor's father purchased this MOV in August 1978 from one L D Watts of Cocklake, Somerset together with the Coventry Eagle (Lot 56). Accompanying documentation consists of a buff continuation logbook (issued 1957), three expired tax discs, old/current Swansea V5/V5C documents and the 1978 purchase receipt.