A fine micro-mosaic plaque of the Roman Forum, by the Vatican Mosaic Workshop, last half of the 19th century, in the manner of Michelangelo Barberi (Italian, 1787 - 1867)
Signed 'R.F.S.P.' [Reverend Workshop of St. Peters] to bottom right corner, and with paper label to reverse with printed border with initials 'R.F.S.P.V.' beneath a cipher of the crossed keys of St. Peter, and with inked Italian inscription reading 'Mosaico dello stabilimento Vaticano deposito del Mosaicista Barberi' and 'No. 385'
Depicting the Arch of Septimus Severus between the Baroque church of SS. Luca e Martina, the Temple of Vespasian, and the Temple of Saturn, a couple to the foreground, further buildings beyond, in a giltwood frame, the plaque 23cm wide x 16.5cm high; overall 40cm wide x 33cm high