From the Oldenburg Family Collection
1930 Ford Model A Five Window Coupe
Engine no. A3020483
A replacement for the ubiquitous Model T, the Model A went on sale in December 1927. A more complex car than its predecessor, the 'A' was also more powerful, its four-cylinder side-valve engine producing 40bhp double the output of the T which was good enough for a top speed of 65mph. A three-speed, sliding gear transmission replaced the T's planetary gears, there was coil-and-battery ignition instead of magneto and, at last, there was a brake for each wheel. The T's ungainly styling was abandoned and the eagerly awaited Model A's up-to-the-minute looks, choice of colors and, needless to say, competitive pricing, helped ensure its success. Ford priced the new Model A at just $450 and would go to build 4.5 million over the next four years despite the prevailing economic gloom.
After two years in production the Model A was face-lifted for 1930, receiving wider tires on smaller-diameter (19") wheels and being mildly restyled with wider mudguards to achieve a lower, more modern look. Ford outsold Chevrolet 2-to-l in 1929/30 when more than 1.4 million were sold - the Model A's best year - and production continued until the V-8's arrival in 1932 saw Ford's four-cylinder car renamed 'Model B'.
The offered example is a body style 45-B Deluxe Coupe, commonly known as a 5-Window Coupe. The darling of the hot rod community, numerous cars with this body have been modified or customized, making untouched cars rare. Finished in Andalusite Blue with Aurora Red wheels, it has been lovingly restored and wears period correct California plates.
- Please note that the title for this vehicle is in transit, and also that this vehicle is black, not Andalusite Blue as listed in the catalog.