1935 Rolls Royce Phantom II Sports Limousine Coachwork by Barker & Co Registration no. CGK 891 Chassis no. 56UK Engine no. RX25
Chassis number '56UK' was delivered in September 1935 and owned by Frederick Miles, who at that time was a director of Philips & Powis Aircraft based at Woodley near Reading, Berkshire. In 1936 Rolls-Royce bought into Philips & Powis, which produced aircraft under the 'Miles' name and became Miles Aircraft Limited when their share was sold in 1943. The car was originally delivered to Major Len Cox ('Cx' in factory parlance) who was the company's sales manager in London. Recorded as 'stock' on the chassis cards, it passed to Frederick Miles in November 1937. With the Phantom comes a picture of it outside the Art Deco-style Woodley aerodrome terminal behind a Miles Monarch aircraft and with a uniformed chauffeur at hand.
The coachwork by Barker body number '6965' - is a very sporting swept-back design that appears almost 'aero'-like from the side. Erected on the long chassis, the car has a wind-up division with ample room to the front and rear. Although not a Continental model, it was specified on the build sheets to have Continental features including Continental-type rear springs.
In November 1945 Miles sold the Phantom to a Mr R B Davies of Chester. The two old-style buff logbooks record further ownership changes. In 2007 the car was acquired by the nephew of the late Sir James Cayzer, a well-respected R-REC luminary and collector of Rolls-Royce motor cars.
Described as 'a magnificent and important car in absolutely first rate condition,' '56UK' comes with bills for the period 2008-2011 totalling over £100,000 for works carried out by marque specialists Frank Dale & Stepsons, including the installation of a new cylinder head and an overdrive. It is thus in superb mechanical order with a fully rebuilt engine and everything done that needed doing. Accompanying invoices are comprehensive, meticulous and detailed.
The car is finished in a pleasing scheme of pale grey over medium grey. Twin trumpet horns adorn the front, mounted either side of a central fog lamp. A single side-mount spare wheel sits on the driver's side running board. The interior is delightful, with pale blue leather to all the seating surfaces, complementary pale grey carpets and satin-finish burr walnut in abundance. Small tools are located in a foldout panel to the passenger front foot-well. A large sunroof slides back easily for semi alfresco motoring. The front windows are of an interesting, unusual yet practical design; when the winder is turned in one direction the window moves backwards a couple of inches allowing for quarter-light style ventilation; when turned the other the window rolls down in a conventional manner. The engine bay is well detailed with all large tools in their appointed places including a plug-in inspection lamp. We are advised that on the road the car is everything a late-series Phantom should be. The engine starts instantly and runs silently, and the synchromesh gearbox is smooth and precise. In overdrive top the car cruises at 70mph in a calm, quiet and relaxed manner, with temperatures and pressure steady and well within limits, the steering being 'pin sharp'.
'CGK 391' has just had a full inspection by Rolls-Royce engineer William Allan who pronounced it mechanically first class and an outstanding example. Epitomising the very best of 1930s style, this magnificent Phantom II is offered with the aforementioned invoices, copy chassis cards, two old-style continuation logbooks, current MoT/tax and Swansea V5 document.