1928 Packard Eight Model 443 Coupe Chassis no. 230412
Always built to the highest standards, the Packard was unquestionably one of the finest American cars of the pre-war era. First introduced in 1924, the Eight was the first Packard to employ four-wheel brakes. The nine-bearing, sidevalve, straight-eight engine developed 85bhp from 5.9 litres, and the line-up initially comprised ten models on two wheelbase lengths. With the introduction of custom models in 1926 the Eight range increased dramatically. 'Original Creations by Master Designers' according to Packard, the custom offerings were bodied by Derham, Dietrich, Fleetwood, Holbrook and Judkins among others.
Bijur chassis lubrication and hypoid final drive gears had arrived on the Eight by 1927, at which time the engine was enlarged to 6.3 litres. By now maximum power had risen to 105bhp, an output sufficient to propel this far from lightweight car to a top speed of 80mph. The secret of Packard's success was tight quality control and the use of only the best materials, and the company made great play of the fact that almost everything was manufactured in house: 'Packard cars are designed by Packard engineers and built by Packard men. Packard engineering and Packard parts and cannot be found in any other motor car.'
Representing the best the US auto industry had to offer in 1928, this unregistered Packard coupé was purchased at auction in September 1993 and comes with C&E Form 386 confirming EU duties paid. Noteworthy features include drum headlights and sidelights, side-mounted spare wheel and radiator Moto-meter. The car was previously owned by one John Eric Smith of Riviera Beach, Florida who had purchased it from Rod Morris Classic Cars of Jacksonville, Florida in December 1991. We are advised that since acquisition no work has been done on the Packard, which is offered with import paperwork, Florida dealer's re-assignation supplement and State of South Dakota Certificate of Title.