1935 Pierce-Arrow Model 845 Rumble Seat Coupe Registration no. 621 UXR Chassis no. 2090304
Based in Buffalo, New York State, Pierce built birdcages, ice boxes and bicycles before introducing its first petrol-driven automobile in 1901. (The Pierce-Arrow name was first used in 1904). In 1908 the firm became the Pierce Arrow Motor Car Company and soon switched its attention exclusively to the production of luxury cars, pioneering many technological developments, including servo-assisted braking and hydraulic tappets, while building some of the most prestigious motor cars ever to grace America's highways.
Some idea of the rapidity of Pierce-Arrow's rise may be gauged from the fact that as early as 1909 The White House ordered two for state occasions. From then onwards Pierce-Arrow would be synonymous with the ultimate in motoring luxury, ranking alongside Cadillac, Packard and Rolls-Royce. Clinging to traditional styling and handicapped by a range of sixes in an increasingly multi-cylinder marketplace, Pierce-Arrow saw its sales decline throughout the 1920s. In 1928 an alliance was forged with Studebaker, which viewed Pierce-Arrow's acquisition as a means of gaining entry to the luxury car market. A new range of straight eights - already under development before Studebaker's arrival - was introduced and sales doubled in 1929. A V12 was added in November 1931 but both Pierce-Arrow and Studebaker were finding life tough in the post-Wall Street Crash years. When the latter filed for bankruptcy in 1933, Pierce-Arrow found itself independent once again. Despite the critical acclaim lavished on its futuristic 'Silver Arrow' show car five of which were sold costing $10,000 each the firm was severely handicapped by the lack of a lower-price range. Sales dwindled throughout the 1930s and the once-great Pierce-Arrow folded in 1938.
This restored eight-cylinder Coupé is one of only 875 Pierce-Arrow motor cars sold in 1935. It is believed that it was purchased at auction in September 1993 having belonged previously to one John Eric Smith, who bought it from Rod Morris Classic Cars in 1991. In 2006 the Pierce-Arrow underwent extensive restoration at the Jim Stokes Workshops, there being related bills for more than £27,500 on file together with a DVD recording the work. The car is offered with import paperwork, State of Florida dealer title supplement, dating certificate, six expired MoTs, Swansea V5C document, MoT to May 2013 and the Arrow from its original mascot.