After formative years spent in the drawing office of the Great Western Railway, engineer H F S Morgan progressed to automobile manufacture, showing his first three-wheeler car at Olympia in 1910, coincidentally with an upsurge of interest in cyclecars. Of simple construction with front-mounted motorcycle engine and two-speed chain transmission, the Morgan was light, fast and economical to run. V-twin engines from a wide variety of manufacturers were employed, though those from J A Prestwich predominated.
The first production four-wheeled Morgan - the 4/4 - appeared in December 1935 when H F S Morgan completed the London-Exeter Trial in one. The newcomer inherited its sliding-pillar front suspension, simple cross-braced steel chassis and long bonnet, short tail looks from the three-wheelers. It was powered by a 1,122cc, inlet-over-exhaust, Coventry Climax 'four' that transmitted its 34bhp to the Salisbury back axle via a centre-mounted four-speed Meadows gearbox (a Moss 'box was used later). There was also a smaller-bore, 1,098cc competition version available that made the car eligible for the sports car racing's 1,100cc class; one such specially prepared 4/4, driven by private entrant Prudence Fawcett, finished 2nd in class and 13th overall at Le Mans in 1938. Four-seater and two-seater drophead coupe versions of the 4/4 were added to the range in 1938. A special Standard-built 1,267cc overhead-valve engine was introduced for the 1939 season and would continue to power the 4/4 up to 1950.
We are advised that this particular 4/4 is one of only four built after WW2 with the Coventry Climax 1,122cc engine. In recent times the Morgan has been resident in the Czech Republic and was restored in Prague by a well-known restorer in 2012 using all correct parts. Described as in generally excellent condition, this rare 4/4 variant is offered with sundry restoration invoices and its old UK V5C registration document recording the last owner in this country as one David Baldock of Basted, Kent, who acquired the car in 2004 and sold it to the immediately preceding (Czech) owner. The car also comes with an old-style continuation logbook (issued 1958) recording the registration as 'MRB 695' and noting a change of both colour scheme and engine.