Ever since the world's television screens were filled with images of ecstatic East Germans driving their Trabants through the newly breached Berlin Wall, the tiny two-stroke 'Trabbi' has enjoyed an enthusiastic following amongst Western car collectors. A development of the pre-war DKW Meisterklasse, the Trabant's immediate ancestor was the 500cc Zwickau P50 of 1958. The 'Trabant' name and a 595cc engine had arrived by the early 1960s, to be followed in 1964 by the definitive '601' model. All versions were powered by a twin-cylinder engine driving the front wheels, and early examples had reinforced papier maché bodywork, though this was later replaced by a (natural) fibre reinforced resin known as Duroplast.
This example was brought to the UK in 1990 and acquired by the Collection, an article on its journey from Germany being published in The Autocar that same year. We are advised that the 'Trabbi' was running well at time of acquisition and has seen relatively little use, the odometer reading increasing from 60,438 kilometres in 1992 to 60,451 kilometres (approximately 37,500 miles) today, showing that it has covered only eight miles in 20 years. The car is offered with old German Fahrzeugbrief, copy owner's manual (in German), expired MoT (1991) and Swansea V5 document.