Three owners and 9,945 miles from new 1971 Triumph Herald 13/60 Convertible Registration no. PFY 399J Chassis no. GE77835OV Engine no. 515573
The introduction of the Herald in 1959 marked the beginning of the end for Standard's small saloons, although the Ten's 948cc, overhead-valve, four-cylinder engine lived on in up-rated form in the Herald, endowing the latter with a 70mph top speed and 40mpg fuel consumption. The need to ensure ease of assembly overseas influenced the return to a separate chassis, but despite this apparent anachronism the Herald proved an outstanding success, its all-independent suspension making for class-leading ride quality and a phenomenally tight turning circle, while Michelotti's Italian styling proved attractive to both men and women alike. Larger engines and disc front brakes were adopted as the Herald matured, and by the time production ceased in 1971 more than 500,000 had been produced.
Dating from the final year of production, this 13/60 Convertible benefits from that model's 1.3-litre, 61bhp engine and up-rated front disc brakes. The car was first owned by a Mr Clarke of Southport followed by one Jeffrey Ratcliffe of Ormskirk (1981) before its acquisition for the Collection in 1984. 'PFY 399J' is described as in generally very good original condition, though the engine bay would benefit from detailing, and is said to run very well. The car is offered with old-style logbook, assorted correspondence, petrol ration book, some expired MoT certificates, current road fund licence and Swansea V5. It will be freshly MoT'd prior to sale.