Although long since departed, Wolseley was one of Britain's foremost makes throughout the Edwardian period and into the 1920s. The company had been founded by Irish-born Frederick York Wolseley in Sydney, Australia in 1887 to manufacture sheep-shearing equipment. Two years later a subsidiary was set up in Birmingham, England where works manager Herbert Austin added machine tools and bicycle components to the catalogue. Austin would be responsible for the first Wolseley motor car, a three-wheeler built on Léon Bollée lines in 1896. In 1901 the firm was taken over by the armaments manufacturer, Vickers Son & Maxim, and production moved to a new factory at Adderley Park, Birmingham.
Wolseley entered the 1930s in the personal ownership of William Morris, who had bought the bankrupt company in 1927, passing into the control of Morris Motors in 1935. From then on its products were more closely related to their Morris cousins mechanically while retaining Wolseley's own overhead-camshaft engines and characteristically more luxurious interiors. The overhead cam was soon gone, though Wolseley did at least enjoy the advantage of having the overhead-valve versions of Morris's sidevalve engines. Up-market counterpart of the Morris Ten Series M, the Wolseley Ten of 1939 employed the same 1,140cc overhead-valve engine but carried it in a traditional separate chassis unlike the Morris, which was its maker's first unitary construction design. A little over 5,000 had been made when the outbreak of war halted production, while a further 2,715 had left the factory by the time manufacture finally ceased in 1948.
This pre-war Wolseley Ten has benefited from ongoing restoration since 1970 and has been fully repainted and fully re-trimmed (in 2010), including the door cards. The engine has been rebuilt (also in 2010) being bored out to 1,250cc and fitted with new pistons, bearings, timing chain and reground crankshaft. Additional work has seen the wiper motor rewound and the wiring harness, fuel pump and battery replaced. Finished in black with brown vinyl interior, 'DGY 519' is described by the private vendor as in generally excellent condition, with good chassis. The car is offered with sundry restoration invoices, original instruction manual, fresh MoT/tax and Swansea V5 registration document.