Morris' 1927 acquisition of Wolseley facilitated the production of a light car intended to rival Austin's highly successful Seven. Wolseley's 847cc, four-cylinder, overhead-camshaft engine provided the motive power for the new Minor which, with around double the Seven's output, enjoyed markedly superior performance. The simple ladder-type chassis featured cable-operated brakes and a three-speed gearbox with dry clutch. A fabric-bodied saloon and four-seater tourer were offered from 1928, being joined for 1930 by a steel-panelled saloon and light van. Extending the range still further, a two-seater tourer was introduced in December 1930 costing only £100 despite a generous level of equipment. Having spent a full day putting the '£100 marvel' through its paces, the Daily Herald declared: 'Four years ago, the same car could not have been produced for twice the price.' Despite being acclaimed by press and public alike, the original 'cammy' Minor was dropped in 1932 in favour of the recently introduced - and cheaper to produce - sidevalve-engined version. The new engine retained the same bore/stroke dimensions as the superseded OHC unit, which lived on in various MG sports cars, and was claimed to produce only one horsepower less. The two-seater tourer continued to be offered for just £100. By the time Minor production ceased in 1934, almost 40,000 'cammy' and over 47,000 sidevalve models had been built.
We are advised that this sidevalve-engined Minor two-seater tourer was treated to a long-term, 'last nut and bolt', total restoration by its retired, 84-year old, enthusiast owner. Completed in 1994, 'GT 3394' is said to remain in 1st class order and to drive exceptionally well. Finished green with black wings and green interior, the car comes complete with weather equipment and is offered with old-style logbook, current road fund licence, MoT to May 2013 and Swansea V5 document.