Introduced for the 1939 season, the Austin Eight continued post-war almost unchanged, though the two-door and tourer models available pre-war were not re-introduced. Although the Eight used a revised version of the 900cc four-cylinder sidevalve engine of the preceding Big Seven, the rest of the car was new, the chassis featuring a welded-in floor pan to which the body was bolted, forming a rigid structure that hinted at developments to come. Running gear was more conventional, with beam axles and semi-elliptic springs at both ends, Girling mechanical brakes and a four-speed synchromesh gearbox. Body styling was revised in the modern idiom and showed clear signs of transatlantic influence. 'On the open road it travels comfortably at 45 to 50mph - in other words, at the rate commonly employed by the majority of owners who use the car for pleasure - and will run up readily to over the 50 mark, proving capable of maintaining a speed close to its maximum without becoming bothered mechanically,' reported The Autocar.
Offered for restoration, this 'barn find' example has been in storage since last used in the 1970s. The car started and ran when inspected recently, appearing very original and fundamentally sound, while the sunroof, opening windscreen and leather interior are particularly noteworthy features. A most exciting project, 'HLR 874' is offered with copies of old logbooks and tax discs to facilitate its re-registration. No reserve.