Current owner since 1968 1936 Bentley 4¼-Litre Sports Saloon Coachwork by Park Ward Ltd Registration no. DM 9783 Chassis no. B58GA Engine no. T8BN
By the end of the 1930s the 'Derby' Bentley, introduced towards the beginning of that decade following the firm's take-over by Rolls-Royce, had undergone a number of significant developments, not the least of which was an increase in bore size in 1936 that upped the capacity to 4,257cc, a move that coincided with the adoption of superior Hall's Metal bearings.
This new engine was shared with the equivalent Rolls-Royce - the 25/30hp - and as had been the case with the preceding 3½-Litre model, enjoyed a superior specification in Bentley form, boasting twin SU carburettors, raised compression ratio and a more 'sporting' camshaft. Thus the new 4¼-Litre model offered more power than before while retaining the well-proven chassis with its faultless gear-change and servo-assisted brakes. The Derby Bentley was, of course, an exclusively coachbuilt automobile. Of the 2,442 manufactured, almost 50 percent were bodied by Park Ward in a limited number of styles and this example is typical of the firm's popular sports saloon. Sold new to first owner Richard Felix Summers of John Summers & Sons Ltd, 'B58GA' was purchased in Cornwall by the current vendor in 1968 and for a while was used for journeys from London to Cornwall.
Subsequently the Bentley was taken off the road for repairs to the cylinder head, undertaken by Eutectic of West London, since then it has been kept in dry storage. The block remains in the chassis and the engine can be turned over, although the rest of it has been dismantled and is in pieces. Nevertheless, the car appears complete and the chassis seems to be sound. Sold strictly as viewed, this exciting Derby Bentley restoration project comes with old-style logbook and Swansea V5. No reserve.