One of the most influential automobiles of all time, the Alec Issigonis-designed Mini debuted in 1959 to universal acclaim. True, there had been numerous front-wheel-drive designs before the Mini's arrival, but the transverse engine layout enabled Issigonis to create a trend-setting masterpiece of automotive packaging. BMC chose to market the car as the Austin Seven and Morris Mini Minor before Mini became a marque in its own right in 1969. The early Mk1 had the 848cc A-Series engine, rubber cone suspension, and floor-mounted starter button, the latter two features being replaced by Hydrolastic suspension and key starting respectively in 1964.
This early Mini was purchased new from Comerford's of Thames Ditton by a Mr Hampton, passing in 1988 to the current (second) owner, who registered the car at his own address but under his brother-in-law's name. The vendor used the Mini for around six moths before having two new wings and a floor pan welded in and the car fully re-sprayed by Chamberlain's Coachworks of Surbiton, Surrey. Parked outside for around 12 months following the re-spray, '478 TPE' has been kept garaged since then and used only once or twice annually. A total of only 64,500 miles is recorded on the odometer and the car is described as in generally good condition with exception of the original interior, though a roll of correct material is included in the sale, enabling it to be re-upholstered. The car is offered with dating certificate, current MoT/tax and Swansea V5.