1949 Douglas 348cc MkIII Sports
Registration no. ZV 8522
Frame no. T35/S/5718/SS
Engine no. T35/S/162
Douglas commenced post-war production in 1947 with a flat twin, though unlike the vast majority of its predecessors the T35 mounted its engine across the frame. The former was of unitary construction while the latter displayed even greater innovation with its torsion bar-controlled swinging-arm rear suspension and Radiadraulic leading-link front fork. Its advanced running gear endowed the Douglas with excellent handling and steering, while the willing engine could propel the 'Dougie' to 70mph and return 60-plus mpg. Freddie Dixon improved the bike for 1948, the revised MkIII featuring new cylinder heads and a stronger frame, while 1950 saw the introduction of the MkIV with its distinctive triangular toolboxes, frame-mounted pillion footrests and un-sprung front mudguard. The arrival of the 80 Plus and 90 Plus sports roadsters led to the preceding 'standard' and 'sports' distinctions being dropped, the standard roadster becoming the 'MkV' in November 1950. Production ceased with the Dragonfly's introduction for 1955. Together with the 1957 Douglas Dragonfly in the sale, this MkIII was painstakingly restored by Nottingham-based engineer, Colin Lowther and after completion featured in the September 1982 edition of Classic Bike magazine. It should be noted that this machine incorporates a number of modifications from standard MkIII specification (most notably the earlier type of engine) some of which are mentioned in the Classic Bike article. The machine is offered with Republic of Ireland registration document.
- The 'Republic of Ireland Registration Document' as reffered to in the catalogue description is actually tax paperwork incorporating the registration data.
Auction terms and conditions