Following the Mini saloon's introduction in August 1959, the van version of BMC's revolutionary small car arrived in January 1960, followed by the pick-up in 1961. Built on a longer wheelbase than the saloon, the commercial Mini's front-wheel drive and compact independent rear suspension enabled it to match many more-expensive medium-sized vans for interior space. Identical - apart from the badging - Austin and Morris versions were built for the first nine years, the models being known subsequently as the Mini Van and Mini Pick-Up. The latter shared the van's floorpan and mechanical specification, differing only by virtue of its closed-in cab and open rear load platform. A 998cc engine had become available in 1967 but most customers opted for the more economical 848cc unit. Always more Spartanly equipped than their saloon cousins - the front passenger seat was an option to begin with - the van and pick-up retained the MkI Mini's front grille, door bins, sliding windows and external door hinges to the end of production in 1983. This Mini Pick-Up was purchased new by the Duchy of Cornwall, subsequently passing to one of its contractors, William Moon & Sons Ltd (copy original logbook and correspondence on file). To date the vehicle has had four keepers and currently displays a believed genuine total of 36,000 miles on the odometer. Restored in February 2011, 'OYW 628L' is described as in generally excellent condition and offered with BMIHT dating letter, current MoT/tax and Swansea V5.