'The new Alvis Speed Twenty is the type of car which looks right, feels right and is right. From the driver's point of view the controls are all just where they are required and the power, speed and acceleration provided by the "hotted-up" but, nevertheless, silky six-cylinder engine are literally an eye-opener to anyone accustomed to driving about in a more or less sedate manner in ordinary motor cars of medium size.' - Motor magazine in praise of the new Alvis Speed Twenty in March 1932. Introduced for 1932, the Alvis Speed Twenty was a fine quality, sporting car in the Coventry marque's best traditions. Carried over from the preceding 20hp Silver Eagle, the 2,511cc, six-cylinder, overhead-valve engine produced 90bhp on triple SU carburettors, an output sufficient to propel the touring-bodied versions past 90mph. The low-slung Speed Twenty chassis was all new, addressing criticisms levelled at the 'tall-in-the-saddle' Silver Eagle, offering levels of grip and controllability matched by few of its rivals. 'When cornering it is not only free from rolling the low build sees to that but the layout is such that it clings to the intended path at quite unexpected speeds, and when centrifugal force does eventually produce a skid it is of the rear wheels only and easily controlled,' observed Motor Sport's tester. This particular Alvis is an example of the second-series (SB) Speed Twenty with the all-synchromesh gearbox and independent front suspension, making it one of the more technologically advanced British cars of its day. Chassis number '11170' was delivered to Charles Follett in London on 2nd January 1934 and first registered to a Mr Neame of the Shepherd Neame brewery in Faversham, Kent. The Speed Twenty comes with a copy of its factory Car Record showing a change of engine, this having been carried out early in its life following a problem with the original. Owned by Mr Neame until 1956, the car then spent many years on the Continent as part of a museum collection before being purchased by a Mr W Mitchell in Ireland. The current vendor bought the Alvis from Mr Mitchell in 1998 and had the Irish registration changed back to the original number of 'AKP 579'. During his 14 years of ownership, the car has lived in an 'air chamber' and has benefited from extensive mechanical refurbishment. Works carried out within the last 2,000 miles include a complete engine rebuild and new clutch; overhaul of the carburettors, magneto and dynamo; brakes relined; a new 4.12:1 crown wheel installed; new friction linings to the front dampers; wheels re-spoked in stainless steel and four new Michelin tyres fitted. The car was rewired and a new radiator fitted by the previous owner but remains highly original apart from a modern Facet fuel pump under the wing. There is a large file of bills relating to these works. The car has extremely good weather equipment by way of four excellent side screens, and also comes with a double duck tonneau. Described as in generally very good mechanical condition, this exciting post-Vintage thoroughbred is offered with a substantial history file containing the aforementioned bills, a quantity of expired MoT certificates, Swansea V5 registration document and MoT to July 2013.