1922 Scott 532cc Standard Tourer
Registration no. YA 2911
Frame no. 2558
Engine no. 6034
Bradford-born inventor Alfred Angas Scott's experiments with two-stroke motorcycle engines began in the closing years of the 19th Century, leading to the grant of a patent in 1904. The first complete Scott motorcycle prototype followed in 1908, its water-cooled, twin-cylinder engine, two-speed foot-change gear and all-chain drive marking it out as an exceptionally advanced design for its day. Refinements to the Scott continued to appear on a yearly basis, 1912 models boasting an improved two-speed gear and an engine increased in capacity to 532cc, up from 486cc. For 1913 the aluminium-alloy water-cooled cylinder head was deleted, the water jackets being sealed by circular plates, while the 1914 model featured a drip-feed lubricator in place of the previously used pump that had proved difficult to regulate. Stronger forks able to withstand the stress imposed by a sidecar were fitted, together with a centre stand.
This two-speed model was previously owned by marque expert, the late John Underhill, who told the current vendor that he had restored it. Also owned by Reg Summers, the Scott was featured on page 60 of 'The Second Scott Selection' during his ownership. 'YA 2911' is described as in generally good condition with very good engine and transmission, the former having been rebuilt by Ken Lack of Sheffield and the latter by Mike Field of Southampton. The mechanical rebuild was undertaken in 1991, soon after the vendor had acquired the Scott from one C R Rowe of Ashburton, Devon (purchase receipt on file). While in the current ownership 'YA 2911' has participated in the Graham Walker Run and many local VMCC runs, and has won the Frank Philipp Cup twice at the Scott National Gathering and the Midland Trophy several times at the same event (certificates available).
Continuously MoT'd since 1992 and in regular use until recently when the vendor's ill health stopped him riding, the machine is offered with MoT to July 2013 and Swansea V5C registration document. Original instruction books and the tool for water jacket head ring removal are included in the sale.