Single family ownership for circa 35 years
1932 James 499cc Model D2 Project
Registration no. NG 2674
Frame no. 3388
Engine no. D2428
Like so many famous and not so famous motorcycle firms, that founded by Harry James in 1880 started out as a bicycle manufacturer. Based initially at Sparkbrook and then Greet in Birmingham, the James Cycle Company built its first motorcycle, a Minerva-powered machine, in 1902. From the mid-1930s onwards James began concentrating on the lightweight two-stroke models for which it is best remembered but before then the top-of-the-range 499cc v-twin was being built in sidevalve and overhead-valve forms, and there was even a speedway version of the latter. For 1931 these were typed C1 (OHV) and C2 (sidevalve) with the names 'Flying Ace' and 'Grey Ghost' respectively. Oil bath chain cases were introduced the following year when the pair was re-designated D1 and D2. Of the v-twins, the sidevalve - renamed 'Flying Ghost' - was the last to go, disappearing from the range at the end of 1935. This Model D2 was purchased by the vendor's late father some 35 years ago, the exact year of acquisition being unknown. It would appear that the machine has remained as it was found in the 1970s and no attempt to restore it has been made. Offered as an incomplete restoration project and sold strictly as viewed, 'NG 2674' is offered with old-style Swansea V5 document and some spares. Prospective purchasers should satisfy themselves with regard to the completeness and correctness of this Lot prior to bidding.
- The frame number of this vehicle could not be located.