1968 BSA 172cc Bantam D10
Registration no. SLU 840F
Frame no. BD10 296
Engine no. D10 3089
Developed from the pre-war DKW RT125 and announced in 1948, the Bantam became a top seller for BSA, in excess of 500,000 leaving the Birmingham factory before production ceased in 1971. The introduction of the 172cc D10 model in 1966 marked a number of important developments, the most important of which were a change to coil ignition (replacing the old flywheel generator) and the adoption of a four-speed gearbox, while a raised compression ratio and bigger carburettor increased maximum power to 10bhp and the top speed to 62mph. Presented in GPO livery, this restored BSA Bantam was acquired for the museum in March 2003 and appears to be in generally good condition. The machine is offered with old-style Swansea V5 document recording the previous owner as one Stephen Roy Broadrib of Brighton, who had acquired it in August 1995.
- The frame number of this vehicle is not visible due to the crash bar brackets. The engine number is BE07385B175.