1971 BSA 172cc D175 Bantam
Registration no. VKG 157J
Frame no. 07196
Engine no. XD07196 B175
Developed from the pre-war DKW RT125 and announced in 1948, the Bantam became a top seller for BSA, in excess of half a million leaving the Birmingham factory before production ceased. The Bantam's final incarnation - the D175 with much-revised 172cc engine - appeared in 1969 and lasted in the range with only minor changes until March 1971. One of the final examples made, this ex-GPO Bantam D175 was first registered to The Post Office Corporation, Cardiff and was based at Penarth Road in the Welsh capital. The machine was sold into private ownership in 1978 for £25 (receipt on file) and acquired for the museum in 2003, since when it has been kept on display. Restored and apparently in generally good condition, the machine is offered with DVLA correspondence, SORN letter, sundry expired MoTs (most recent July 2003), old/current Swansea V5/V5C documents and its original green logbook.
- The frame number for this vehicle begins DD719 (the final digit is not legible). The engine number is KC03390B175.