c.1952 BSA 123cc Bantam D1 'GPO'
Registration no. AAS 242
Frame no. YD1 10005
Engine no. YD1 10005
Announced in 1948, the Bantam became a top seller for BSA, more than half a million leaving the factory before production ceased in 1971. While larger-engined versions came and went, the original 123cc D1 Bantam in its updated, plunger-suspended form remained available until 1963, one of its foremost users being the 'GPO' (General Post Office Royal Mail's forerunner) whose red-liveried machines used for telegram deliveries were a familiar sight on city streets. Previously registered 'NSV 855' (in 1984) this GPO-liveried Bantam D1 was purchased for the museum in 2003, the previous owner being recorded as one Michael Geoffrey Griffiths, who had acquired it in November 2001. Restored and apparently in generally good condition, the machine is offered with two expired MoTs (most recent July 2002), SORN letters and old/current Swansea V5/V5C documents. It should be noted that although the V5C states that the vehicle was 'declared manufactured 1947', the frame and engine numbers date it to circa 1952.
- Please note the registration 'KGO 5' on the machine is for display purposes only and does not pertain to the motorcycle.
The engine number for this vehicle could not be located.