1964 Aston Martin DB5 Sports Saloon Registration no. 5736 PP Chassis no. DB5/1629/R Engine no. 400/1622
'Like all classic GT cars, it combines enormous speed with comfort and the more you put into your driving, the more the car returns for your entertainment. And the DB5 really is entertaining to anyone who can exploit its outstanding performance, handling and brakes. It will also carry four people (just) and a fair amount of luggage so the merits of family transport (if need be) have not been entirely sacrificed to speed and elegant looks.' Motor. Aston Martin's post-war evolution had taken a giant step forward with the launch of the DB4 in 1958. Classically proportioned, the Touring-designed body established an instantly recognisable look that would stand the marque in good stead until 1970. Five series were built as the model gradually metamorphosed into the DB5 of 1963. The latter's distinctive cowled headlamps had first appeared on the DB4GT and the newcomer was the same size as the lengthened Series 5 DB4. The DB5's 3,995cc engine, first seen in the Lagonda Rapide, was mated to a four-speed overdrive-equipped manual gearbox, a ZF five-speed unit being standardised later. Electric windows, an alternator, Sundym glass and an oil cooler all became standard equipment on the DB5. Chassis number '1629' was first registered on 22nd June 1964 to The Eton Motor Group of Slough, Buckinghamshire before being sold the following year to Drake and Gorham Ltd in Salisbury, Wiltshire. (The accompanying old-style logbook records the registration as '312 KM' and re-registration as '5736 PP' in November 1964). In April 1967 the Aston was acquired by another limited company based in Warminster, subsequently passing through the hands of two private owners in the late 1960s/early 1970s before being acquired in the late 1990s by the vendor, a well known and respected ex-motor museum owner in the West Country. Bills on file indicate that the bodywork had been treated to a 'freshen up' immediately prior to the car's purchase by the current owner. The accompanying history file, which contains past MoTs, bills and receipts, indicates that the engine was rebuilt in 1970 by Airways Garage in Hayes, Middlesex and that the current odometer reading of circa 64,498 miles is most probably correct as it would appear that from 1982 onwards the car was used sparingly. '5736 PP' was in regular use from 1964 to 1998, since when it has formed part of the vendor's museum display. From 1998 to the present day, the car has been well cared for in dry storage while being started regularly and cleaned during this period. A desirable ZF five-speed model, chassis number '1629' is to standard factory specification, the only noteworthy deviation being the stainless steel exhaust system. Other noteworthy features include the optional Armstrong Selectaride rear shock absorbers and illuminated 'Aston Martin' radio. Finished in red with tan leather interior, the Aston is described as generally sound and in largely original condition, though having been on museum display for some time will require re-commissioning before returning to the road. The car is offered for sale complete with the original buff logbook and current Swansea V5C document. A worthy candidate for either a sympathetic makeover or total renovation, this potentially most rewarding project offers marque enthusiasts the rare opportunity to acquire a largely unmolested DB5.
Please note this car is now offered with a fresh MoT.