Recent barn discovery 1955 Aston Martin DB2/4 Drophead Coupé Coachwork by Mulliners (Birmingham) Ltd Registration no. OUK 929 Chassis no. LML/1009 Engine no. VB6J/543
The need to widen the appeal of the already-successful DB2 resulted in the launch in October 1953 of the 2+2 DB2/4. Modifications to the rear of the chassis plus a reduction in fuel tank capacity from 19 to 17 gallons liberated sufficient space within the existing design for two child-sized occasional rear seats. Alternatively, the rear seat backs could be folded down, thus creating a load-carrying platform that more than doubled the luggage space, the latter being accessed via a hatchback rear door - one of this now-common feature's earliest applications. In addition, a raised roofline, one-piece windscreen, larger bumpers and other detail styling changes differentiated the newcomer from its predecessor. Otherwise, the DB2/4 remained much the same as the DB2, employing the latter's rectangular-tube chassis, trailing arm independent front suspension and well-located live rear axle. The W O Bentley-designed, 2.6-litre, six-cylinder, twin-cam power unit came in tuned (125bhp) Vantage specification as standard for the 2/4. Despite this, the redesign's inevitable weight gain was not fully compensated for until the arrival of the 3.0-litre, 140bhp engine in 1954. The car's top speed was now 118mph, with 60mph reached in around 11 seconds. DB2/4 production had amounted to 565 cars by the time of the MkII's introduction in October 1955, only some 73 of which were drophead coupés. This DB2/4 drophead was first registered by Cyril Williams (Motors) Ltd of Wolverhampton in June 1955, subsequently enjoying four private owners before coming into the possession of one Ronald William Grant, who is listed as previous keeper on the accompanying Swansea V5C document. We are advised that Mr Grant (the last recorded owner on the old-style logbook) bought the DB2/4 in 1970 and used it until approx 1976 when the chrome bumpers were removed to be re-chromed. The re-chroming company went into receivership and the bumpers were never refitted. 'OUK 929' has been unused since.
Off the road for some considerable time, 'OUK 929' has not been started for 20-plus years, though the engine does turn over. Sold with old-style logbook and the aforementioned V5C, the car is offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed. The car is very solid with only limited corrosion and offers a wonderful opportunity to acquire a challenging but potentially most rewarding project for the dedicated Aston Martin enthusiast.