From the estate of the late E.A. Stafford East c.1929 Frazer Nash AC-engined Sports Two-seater Registration no. HU 4269 (see below) Engine no. To be advised
With a pedigree tracing back to Ron Godfrey and Capt. Archie Frazer Nash's spidery GN cyclecars, the first car to bear the Frazer Nash name appeared in June 1924. With chain drive and rigid rear axle the new cars catered exclusively for the sports-minded motorist, offering spartan but exciting motoring with their distinctive handling characteristics. A variety of proprietary engines were adopted including Plus-Power, Anzani, Meadows and Blackburne. Of these the Meadows engine was arguably the most robust in the early years although in later years the Gough designed unit built by Bean Industries probably overtook it in the reliability stakes. Although the factory never promoted a 'works' team it did offer significant encouragement to privateers in such testing events as the International Alpine Trials and the TT races as well as countless sporting trials and speed events. To this day the Frazer Nash remains the sports car of choice for the braver and more hardy vintage competition driver.
E.A. Stafford East, the late owner of this car, had declined the opportunity to enter the family building and construction business to pursue his interest in motor cars, opening his own motor car emporium in Buckinghamshire at a time when so many of today's classic cars were brand new. Although 'bread and butter' motor cars were to generate the income, those delving deeper into the Stafford East garage discovered Stafford's real passion which was for GN cyclecars, the faster Bugatti models, (at various times the motor house containing Type 59, 57 and 49 models amongst others), and the marque Frazer Nash. Rarely was he entirely content with the manufacturer's original specifications and so often his cars would benefit from his own minor modifications. He would over the years accumulate a large quantity of spares and dismantled components from the chain gang marques and it was from this accumulation of parts and dismantled projects that this car evolved. It is believed that Chassis No. 1055, a Fast Tourer dating from 1925, was the donor vehicle for this project although Stafford dispensed with the tired chassis frame, building a replica frame for safety, as he built the car with high speed motoring in mind. Stafford chose a 2-litre six cylinder, triple-carburettored AC engine (itself something of a motoring icon) as the motive power and set to to build replica coachwork in traditional style, equipping the dashboard with fabulous 0-120mph speedometer and 0-7000rpm rev counter by the Speedometer Supply. Co. London. That he succeeded admirably is self-evident. Stafford was to drive this car locally around the Amersham area while in his 90s, although its competition history is limited to getting first to a supermarket parking space or the occasional blisteringly fast start from the traffic lights in Amersham, both events bringing a mischievously broad grin to its driver's face.
The car is registered with the DVLA as HU 4269. A copy of an old style log book records a date of registration as 19th September 1929, conflicting with factory records for Chassis no. 1055 see above. The car is also recorded as being fitted with a 1,496 cc engine, now of course changed. This document records ownership by D.C.Hings in September 1935, R.D.Dunster in 1941 and acquisition by Stafford East in 1978. A letter on file from 2003 records how pleased D.C. Hings was to see the evolution of his old car that year. A new owner will be required to discuss with the DVLA the updating of their records clearly presently awry. The car was last MoT'd and taxed in 2006 and will require the usual re-commissioning and safety checks before use. It comes with a photograph album recording its restoration and the aforementioned photocopy of old style logbook. At the time of cataloguing the Swansea registration document had not been located. The Executors have applied for a replacement which should be available at the time of sale.