'Although the early Amilcar was extremely simple it had such handling and good roadholding that the young clientele persuaded the firm's directors to create a new vehicle derived from the original but suitable for more sporting use...' - Pierre Chan, Classic Cars, December 1974. Like the Salmson, the Amilcar was a direct descendant of the popular cyclecar of the immediately post-WWI period. Société Nouvelle pour l'Automobile Amilcar operated at its St Denis factory from 1921 to 1937, while a reconstituted concern continued in Boulogne-sur-Seine until 1939 when production ceased. Amilcar had been founded by Andre Morel and ex-Citroën engineer Edmond Moyet to build cyclecars with sufficient performance for Morel to realise his dream of competition success. Emile Akar, a Paris businessman, and Joseph Lamy, an executive at cyclecar maker Le Zebre, backed Morel's and Moyet's prototype, which was enthusiastically received. Powered by a diminutive 904cc four-cylinder sidevalve engine rated at 7.5hp, Amilcar's first model, the CC, commenced production in 1921. The CC was praised for its excellent, responsive handling and adequate power, attracting a large and loyal following and setting the pattern for future models. It also provided Morel with his desired competition success when he became the 1100cc Class champion of France in 1922. The larger-engined Type CS sports and Type CO touring models that followed shared the same basic design. In 1924 Amilcar introduced the CGS, which boasted a stronger frame, more powerful engine with full pressure lubrication and, most importantly, four-wheel brakes. Racing continued to be vital to Amilcar's marketing and during 1924 it claimed 102 first place trophies and five world speed records including the flying kilometre at 147.42km/h (91.6mph). In 1925 Amilcar's production was some 3,700 cars, a figure that improved to 4,800 in 1926. Amilcar owners included King Alfonso XIII of Spain, France's greatest WWI flying ace Charles Nungesser and famed engineer and Land Speed Record driver J G Parry Thomas. The Amilcar CGS was by far the marque's most successful model. Production began in 1924 and continued through 1929 with continuous improvement to a design of proven performance and reliability. Mostly fitted with Spartan two-seat bodywork (in aluminium at extra cost), the Amilcar CGS encouraged its owners to enter local competitions in which it proved highly successful. In 1926 Amilcar introduced the CGS Surbaissé with a lower chassis and even more powerful engine, now making 40bhp from a displacement of 1,097cc. So popular was the Amilcar CGS that it was built under license in Italy, Germany and Austria and sold in the United States by no less than Maybach Motors in New York City. Today this charismatic French marque is well supported by active owners clubs. This early four-cylinder Amilcar was acquired in 1984 from a London mews as a restoration project and has been stored in a Suffolk barn ever since. Its history prior to 1984 is not known, though the glassfibre body is believed to have been fitted during the 1970s. The engine has a cracked block, almost certainly the reason the car was taken off the road in the first place. Noteworthy features include the marque's Pegasus mascot (by Darel), an OS clock, original Jaeger speedometer, Marchal headlamps and a side-mounted spare wheel. There are no documents with this Lot, which is offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed. No reserve.