Arch of Titus, from the Temple of Venus and Rome, albumen print, 390 x 300mm., [c.1860]
Initially employed by George Washington Wilson, fellow Scotsman and photographer, Macpherson started to produce some of the finest topographic views of the ruined classical city. Using long exposure time to allow for a close study of each building, he attained exceptional detail of Roman architecture and monuments. Consistently well received by nineteenth-century critics, Macpherson created the earliest visual encyclopaedia of Italy's capital and is still recognised today as a pioneer of Roman photography. A print of this image is housed in the Conway Collection, Courtauld Institute of Art, London, and in the Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco.