1935 Delage D8 105 S Coupé, Chassis no. 40123 Engine no. 6S
Lot 270
Mention d'honneur au Concours d'Elégance de Villa d'Este 2011,1935 Delage D8-105 Sport Coupé Chassis no. 40123 Engine no. 6S
Sold for €322,000 (US$ 432,768) inc. premium
Auction Details
1935 Delage D8 105 S Coupé, Chassis no. 40123 Engine no. 6S 1935 Delage D8 105 S Coupé, Chassis no. 40123 Engine no. 6S 1935 Delage D8 105 S Coupé, Chassis no. 40123 Engine no. 6S 1935 Delage D8 105 S Coupé, Chassis no. 40123 Engine no. 6S 1935 Delage D8 105 S Coupé, Chassis no. 40123 Engine no. 6S 1935 Delage D8 105 S Coupé, Chassis no. 40123 Engine no. 6S
Lot Details
Mention d'honneur au Concours d'Elégance de Villa d'Este 2011
1935 Delage D8-105 Sport Coupé
Coachwork by Carrosserie Autobineau

Chassis no. 40123
Engine no. 6S
In its day, the Delage D8 was the only French car which could be mentioned in the same breath as the 32CV Hispano-Suiza in terms of elegance and engineering excellence, while the Delage factory at Courbevoie was the most modern in the French industry, equipped with the finest tools that money could buy.
Founded in 1905 by Louis Delage, the company had commenced production with a single-cylinder De Dion-engined runabout and within a few years was offering multi-cylinder designs. The publicity value of racing was recognised right from the start, a single-cylinder Delage winning the Coupe Des Voiturettes as early as 1908 and Louis himself taking the 1911 Coupe de l'Auto in a 3.0-litre four-cylinder. Victories at the Grand Prix du Mans and the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race were achieved prior to WWI, the company going on to become a major force in Grand Prix racing in the 1920s and setting a new World Land Speed Record mark in 1924 with a 10.7-litre V12.
Four-cylinder DI and six-cylinder DM models formed the mainstay of touring car production in the 1920s and then at the 1929 Paris Salon Delage launched the Maurice Gaultier-designed D8. A magnificent 4.0-litre overhead-valve straight eight featuring an X-braced chassis and servo-assisted braking, the D8 was destined to attract the creative attentions of Europe's finest coachbuilders. 'This thoroughbred of engineering was given outstanding coachwork by Chapron, Figoni, Letourneur et Marchand, Saoutchik, Labourdette, Vanden Plas, Freestone & Webb, Barker, Pourtout, Fernandez & Darrin; they all wanted to show what they could do with it,' observed William Stobbs in his book Les Grandes Routières - France's Classic Grand Tourers. The impressive list of D8 owners included King Gustav V of Sweden, King Alexander of Yugoslavia and Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia as well as leading businessmen, politicians and film stars of the day. For those of more modest means, there were the 14hp DS and 17hp D6 six-cylinder models; the latter in effect a D8 minus two cylinders.
Along with many other manufacturers of quality cars, Delage was badly affected by the economic downturn of the early 1930s and in 1935 was taken over by Delahaye. Prior to this misfortune, Louis Delage had persuaded Arthur-Léon Michelat to return to the company, for which he would design a new range of overhead-valve engined models in an attempt to restore its fortunes. These were the 2,678cc D6-75 and 3,570cc D8-85 and D8-105. Delage's top-of-the-range model, the D8-105 was made in 'S' (Sport) and 'L' (Légère = Light) versions, both of which in came with a special twin-plug, high-compression engine with a maximum output of closer to 115bhp rather than the officially rated 105 horsepower. Prices were 68,000 Francs ('L') and 75,000 Francs ('S').
For this special model, Delage commissioned a streamlined coupé body (design J24) from coachbuilder Letourneur et Marchand, to be built by the latter's series-production subsidiary, Autobineau. Bonnet-side louvres in the shape of a figure '8' are a particularly interesting feature of this most handsome design, which was illustrated in the Delage catalogue for 1934/35. On 26th September 1934 a D8-105 fitted with a similar body recorded a top speed of 152km/h (approximately 95mph) at Montlhéry. (Michelat's hand-written notes and a graph recording the speeds attained may be found in the accompanying history file). Despite a favourable reception for its new range, Automobiles Delage went into receivership in April 1935 and shortly thereafter was taken over by Delahaye. From then onwards Delages were built to Delahaye designs but retained their own superior short-stroke engines and hydraulic brakes.
Of the eight D8-105 chassis completed (all with the 'S' engine) Autobineau bodied four: two on the 'S' chassis (one left-hand drive, one right-hand drive) and two on the 'L' chassis (one left-hand drive, one right-hand drive). The car offered here - right-hand drive chassis number '40123' - is the only known survivor of these four. Two of the other D8-105 chassis were bodied by Letourneur et Marchand as convertibles: one for a private customer and the other for the factory, to be displayed at the 1935 Barcelona Motor Show.
Despite a favourable reception for its new range, Automobiles Delage went into receivership in April 1935 and shortly thereafter was taken over by Delahaye. From then onwards Delages were built to Delahaye designs but retained their own superior short-stroke engines and hydraulic brakes.
Chassis number '40123', with engine '6S', was ordered on 26th November 1934 and delivered to Autobineau on 6th February 1935. The finished car was delivered on 3rd March 1935 to its first owner, Mr Le Guyader, who had registered it in Brittany ('3283 FJ 2') prior to the chassis being delivered to Autobineau. '40123' is fitted with a Cotal electro-magnetic gearbox, though it is not known whether it left the factory with it installed.
A close friend of Louis Delage, Le Guyader lived in Morlaix, Brittany, not far from the resort of Saint-Briac-sur-Mer where Louis owned a cottage (La Campanella) and kept his boats. Le Guyader had made his fortune making radio sets under the 'LGM' brand name (Le Guyader Morlaix). He took great pleasure from the ownership of beautiful cars and in 1936 bought the Delage D8-120 Aerosport that had been displayed at the Paris Motor Show.
The next owner of '40123' was a Mr Carabin, who registered the car in Paris in October 1936 ('4286 RK 6'). In 1955 '40123' changed hands for the second time, passing to a Mr Petiet, an antique dealer in Montlhéry and brother of Baron Petiet. The Delage was reregistered '7046 DU 75' and subsequently was acquired by Mr De Laissee for the Châtelleraut Museum, where it remained on display for some 20 years. While at Châtelleraut '40123' was photographed for Ralph Stern's 'The Automobile Book', published 1962 (see history file).
In 1986 the Delage was acquired by a Mr. Picaud and during his ownership was restored (in 1988). Documents on file record a further five owners prior to the current vendor, who acquired the car in April 2010 and showed it at the Villa d'Este Concours d'Elégance in 2011, receiving a mention of honour in class. Representing the last gallant flourish of the original Delage company, this unique and supremely stylish Grand Routier comes with its original tools/jack and a quantity of spare parts. Accompanying documentation consists of full ownership history, instruction manuals, factory drawings, copies of various old titles, numerous period photos, FIVA certificate, current Greek historic registration papers and many books featuring the car.

À son époque, la Delage D8 était la seule voiture française de la trempe des Hispano-Suiza 32CV en matière d'élégance et de prestige mécanique, l'usine Delage de Courbevoie était la plus moderne de l'industrie française, équipée des machines les plus en pointe qu'on pouvait acheter à l'époque.
Fondée en 1905 par Louis Delage, la société avait commencé avec une voiturette à moteur monocylindre De Dion et au bout de quelques années proposait déjà des modèles à plusieurs cylindres. Dès le début la publicité générée par la compétition avait été appréciée, une Delage monocylindre gagnant la Coupe des voiturettes dès 1908 et Louis lui-même prenant part à la Coupe de l'Auto sur une quatre cylindres 3 litres en 1911. Des victoires au Grand Prix du Mans et aux 500 Miles d'Indianapolis avaient été remportées avant la première guerre et la marque allait devenir un des concurrents majeur des années 1920, établissant un nouveau record de vitesse en 1924 avec une V12 de 10,7 litres de cylindrée.
Les quatre cylindres DI et les six cylindres DM constituaient le cœur de la gamme dans les années 1920 et au Salon de Paris de 1929, Delage lançait la D8 conçue par Maurice Gaultier. Dotée d'un superbe 8 cylindre en ligne de 4 litres à soupapes en tête reposant sur un châssis à croisillon avec freinage assisté, la D8 devait monopolisée toute l'attention des meilleurs carrossiers européens de l'époque. Ce pur-sang mécanique reçut des carrosseries magnifiques signées Chapron, Figoni, Letourneur et Marchand, Saoutchik, Labourdette, Vanden Plas, Freestone & Webb, Barker, Pourtout, Fernandez & Darrin. 'Ils voulaient tous montrer ce qu'ils pouvaient faire avec une telle voiture' affirme William Stobbs dans son livre Les Grandes routières – France's Classic Grand Tourers. L'impressionnante liste des propriétaires de D8 comprend le roi de Suède Gustave V, le roi Alexandre de Yougoslavie et l'empereur Hailé Sélassié d'Éthiopie, ainsi que des hommes d'affaires en vue, des politiciens, et de nombreuses vedettes de cinéma de l'époque. Pour les moins fortunés, il y avait la DS 14 HP et la D6 17 HP à moteurs six cylindres, en fait un D8 amputé de deux cylindres.
Comme de nombreux autres constructeurs de voiture élitistes, Delage fut gravement affecté par la crise économique du début des années 1930 et en 1935 fut repris par Delahaye. Juste avant cette infortune, Louis Delage avait persuadé Arthur-Léon Michelat de revenir dans la société pour laquelle il allait dessiner une nouvelle gamme de modèles à soupapes en tête dans l'espoir de renverser la situation. C'était les D6-75 de 2,678 cm3, les D8-85 et les D8-105 de 3,570 cm3. Le haut de gamme D8-105 existait en version S (Sport) et L (Légère), les deux équipées d'un moteur double allumage à taux de compression élevé dont la puissance atteignait 115 cv, plutôt que les 105 cv annoncés officiellement. Les prix étaient de 68 000 francs pour la L et de 75 000 pour la S.
Pour ce modèle particulier, Delage demanda une carrosserie de coupé aérodynamique (dessin J24) au carrossier Letourneur et Marchand afin qu'il soit produit par sa filiale Autobineau, spécialiste des carrosseries de série. Les ouïes latérales de capot en forme de 8 sont un trait particulièrement intéressant de cet élégant dessin qui figurait au catalogue Delage de 1934/35. Le 26 septembre 1934, une D8-105 équipée de cette carrosserie enregistra une vitesse de 152 km/h à Montlhéry (les notes manuscrites de Michelat et un graphe d'enregistrement des vitesses figurent dans le dossier qui accompagne ce lot). Malgré un accueil favorable de sa nouvelle gamme, Automobiles Delage déposait son bilan en avril 1935 et était repris peu après par Delahaye. À partir de ce moment, les Delage furent construites selon les conceptions de Delahaye, mais conservaient leurs excellents moteurs à course courte et leurs freins hydrauliques.
Des huit châssis D8-105 construits (tous avec moteur S), Autobineau en carrossa quatre : deux sur châssis S (un à conduite à droite et un à conduite à gauche) et deux L (un à conduite à droite et un à conduite à gauche). La voiture proposée ici – une conduite à droite, numéro de châssis 40123 – est la seule survivante connue des quatre. Deux des autres châssis D8-105 furent carrossés par Letourneur et Marchand en cabriolet : l'une pour un client particulier et l'autre pour l'usine qui l'exposa au Salon de Barcelone en 1935.
Le châssis numéro 40123, équipé du moteur 6S fut commandé le 26 novembre 1934 et livré chez Autobineau le 6 février 1935. La voiture finie fut livrée le 3 mars 1935 à son premier propriétaire M. Le Guyader qui l'avait immatriculée en Bretagne (3283 FJ 2) avant même que le châssis ne soit livré chez Autobineau. 40123 est équipé d'une boîte Cotal électromagnétique, bien qu'on ne sache pas si elle quitta l'usine avec cette boîte.
Proche de Louis Delage, Le Guyader vivait à Morlaix, en Bretagne, tout près du domaine de Saint-Briac-sur-Mer où Louis Delage avait une résidence secondaire (La Campanella) où il abritait ses bateaux. Le Guyader avait fait fortune dans les postes de radio vendus sous la marque LGM (Le Guyader Morlaix). Il appréciait les belles voitures et en 1936 acheta la D8-120 Aérospsort qui avait été exposée au Salon de Paris.
Le propriétaire suivant de 40123 était un certain M. Carabin qui immatricula la voiture à Paris en octobre 1936 (4286 RK 6). En 1955, 40123 changea de mains pour la seconde fois, pour un M. Petiet un antiquaire de Montlhéry, frère du baron Petiet. La Delage fut immatriculée 7046 DU 75 et fut ensuite achetée par M. de Laisse pour le musée de Châtellerault, où elle resta exposée pendant quelque 20 années. Pendant son séjour à Châtellerault 40123 fut photographiée pour le livre de Ralph Stern The Automobile Book publié en 1962 (voir la fiche historique).
En 1986, la Delage fut acquise par M. Picaud et pendant qu'elle lui appartint elle fut restaurée en 1988. Les documents du dossier indiquent un cinquième propriétaire avant le vendeur, qui acheta la voiture en avril 2010 et l'exposa au Concours d'Élégance de la Villa d'Este en 2011 où elle reçut une mention d'honneur dans sa classe. Représentante du dernier trait de génie de la marque Delage originelle, cette unique et suprêmement élégante grande routière est vendue avec sa trousse à outils et son cric d'origine et de nombreuses pièces de rechange. La documentation est constituée de l'histoire complète, du manuel d'entretien, de dessins d'usine, de copies de différents titres anciens, de nombreuses photos d'époque, d'un certificat de la FIVA, de papiers d'immatriculation historique grecs et de nombreux livres dans lesquels figure la voiture.

Activities
Auction information

This auction is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future auctions, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this auction, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Contacts
  1. Philip Kantor
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Boulevard Saint-Michel 101
    Brussels, Belgium 1040
    Work +32 476 879 471