1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039
Lot 220
1928 Amilcar C6 Voiturette Chassis no. 39
€460,000 - 540,000
US$ 640,000 - 750,000
amended
Auction Details
1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039 1926 Amilcar C6 Voiturette  Chassis no. 039
Lot Details
1928 Amilcar C6 Voiturette
Chassis no. 39
Amilcar was founded by Andre Morel and engineer Edmond Moyet to build cyclecars with sufficient performance for Morel to realise his dream of competition success. Emile Akar, a Paris businessman, and Joseph Lamy, an executive at cyclecar maker Le Zebre, backed Morel's and Moyet's prototype, which was enthusiastically received. Powered by a diminutive 904cc four-cylinder sidevalve engine, Amilcar's first model, the CC, commenced production in 1921. The CC was praised for its excellent, responsive handling and adequate power, attracting a large and loyal following and setting the pattern for future models. It also provided Morel with his desired competition success when he became the 1100cc Class champion of France in 1922.
Within a couple of years Amilcar found itself at a disadvantage to Salmson, whose new twin-overhead-camshaft four was considerably more powerful, and responded with a twin-cam six. First seen in 1925 and universally admired for their low build and light weight, the Type CO (works) cars boasted supercharged engines with integral cylinder heads and exquisitely machined crankshafts running in seven main (roller) bearings. In October 1926 at the Paris Salon the company introduced a production version with detachable head, plain-bearing engine, the C6, which Autocar magazine described as 'beautifully finished, excellently streamlined...' Fed by a Roots-type supercharger and equipped with dry sump lubrication, the C6 engine represented state-of-the-art automotive technology, delivering a maximum power output of over 60bhp. Effectively a Grand Prix car in miniature, the exclusive, limited edition C6 was exactly what Amilcar's sporting clientele had been asking for, though the price of 60,000 Francs placed it firmly in Bugatti Type 35A/37 territory.
The C6 enjoyed considerable success against the rival Salmsons and BNCs but away from the racetrack the company was not doing so well. Its straightened circumstances led to a drastic cutback of the competitions department in 1927, though in private hands the advanced Amilcars continued racing well into the 1940s. Today, despite a production run of barely a single season, these exquisitely crafted Grand Prix voiturettes have become the quintessential Amilcar and among the most recognisable French competition cars of the Vintage era.
The history of this particular C6 can be traced back to the period immediately after WW2 when it was owned by a Mr Thompson, a young GI serving with the US military in France. Already retrofitted with makeshift cycle-type mudguards and other items of road equipment, the Amilcar was purchased from a garage proprietor in the Pyrenees and driven around the region, including a tour of Northern Spain, before its owner returned home in the early 1950s.
Soon after the Amilcar's arrival on the USA's East Coast, the link between the crankshaft and starter/generator (dynamotor) broke. Believing that the crankshaft itself had failed, Thompson sold the car circa 1953 to Otto Linton of Philadelphia. A dealer in foreign automobiles, Linton was among the first active participants in North America's burgeoning amateur sports car racing scene, campaigning MGs, OSCAs and SIATAs in SCCA events. He never found time to return the C6 to running order and in the mid-1980s sold the car to Bob Rubin, who entrusted its restoration to Chris Leydon, one of the USA's leading Amilcar specialists.
The restoration involved complete disassembly and a meticulous rebuild from the frame upwards, during which it was discovered that the car was remarkably complete and original, the number '39' being stamped on many of the chassis and body components. Particular noteworthy is the engine, which is one of the very rare, fixed-head units intended for the works racers. This engine has been in the car since the 1950s, though it cannot be determined whether or not it was installed when the car left the factory. It is worth mentioning that the London-based Amilcar agent and Brooklands racer Vernon Balls offered a fixed-head, roller-bearing engine transplant for owners requiring increased power.
After the restoration's completion the Amilcar was acquired for his collection of thoroughbred automobiles by E Dean Butler, who in 1994 commissioned an engine rebuild that included the installation of a Phoenix billet crankshaft, Carrillo con-rods and Cosworth pistons. At the same time, Chris Leydon converted the crankshaft to plain bearings (with the exception of the rearmost main) in the interests of serviceability and longevity. Mechanically sorted, the Amilcar participated in the famous 'Colorado Grand', finishing the five-day, 1,000-mile tour through the Rocky Mountains with no serious mechanical trouble despite having to cope with the high altitude and often inclement weather.
Chris Leydon subsequently acquired the Amilcar for his own private collection before selling it to the current owner, an East Coast collector who owns a splendid stable of Ferraris and pre-war Alfa Romeos and Bugattis. The C6 has competed in the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix within the last 12 months and must be considered an ideal candidate for participation in future historic events. An ingenious starting device obviates the need for hand cranking and thus makes this car a more practical proposition than many of its contemporaries.
With its supercharged twin-cam engine, classic looks, detailed provenance and thrilling exhaust note, this outstanding Amilcar C6 possesses all the most desirable qualities of a pre-war racing car, and for the connoisseur competitor/collector represents an exciting alternative to the ubiquitous Grand Prix Bugatti.

Amilcar fut fondé par André Morel, et par l'ingénieur Edmond Moyet pour fabriquer des cyclecars suffisamment puissants pour que Morel réalise ses rêves de pilote. Emile Akar, un homme d'affaire parisien, et Joseph Lamy, un des cadres du constructeur de cyclecar Le Zebre, aidèrent Morel et Moyet à construire le prototype, qui reçut un accueil enthousiaste. Propulsé par un quatre cylindres à soupapes latérales de 904 cm3, le premier modèle Amilcar, la CC, entra en production en 1921. La CC était appréciée pour sa bonne tenue de route et sa puissance, attirant une clientèle nombreuse et fidèle et traçant la voie des modèles à venir. Elle procura aussi à Morel tous les succès en compétition dont il avait rêvé quand elle devint championne de France de la classe des 1,100 cm3 en 1922.
Au bout de deux ans Amilcar se trouva surclassé par Salmson dont le nouveau quatre cylindres à double arbre à cames en tête était bien plus puissant et répondit avec un six cylindres double arbre. Dévoilé en 1925 et universellement admiré pour leur allure surbaissée et leur légèreté, les CO d'usine étaient équipées d'un moteur à compresseur avec culasse intégrale et un vilebrequin à sept paliers, superbement usiné. En octobre 1926, au Salon de Paris, la marque présenta une version de série à culasse détachable, moteur à palier lisse, la C6, que le magazine Autocar décrivait comme 'joliment finie et dotée d'une excellente aérodynamique' . Alimentée par un compresseur de type Roots et équipé d'une lubrification par carter sec, le moteur de la C6 était le nec plus ultra en matière de technologie automobile, délivrant une puissance maximale de 60 cv. Une vraie voiture de Grand Prix en miniature, la très exclusive C6 produite en série limitée était exactement ce qu'attendait la clientèle sportive d'Amilcar, bien que le prix de 60,000 francs la plaçât en concurrence directe avec la Bugatti 35A/37.
La C6 jouissait d'un succès considérable face à ses rivales Salmson et BNC, mais, en dehors des circuits, la marque ne faisait pas aussi bien. Des difficultés amenèrent la suppression du service compétition en 1927, bien que les innovantes Amilcar continuassent de briller dans des mains privées jusque dans les années 1940. Aujourd'hui, malgré une production qui ne s'étala guère au-delà d'une seule saison, ces voiturettes de Grand Prix particulièrement bien construites sont devenues la quintessence des Amilcar et font partie des voitures de compétition françaises les plus remarquables de leur époque.
L'histoire de cette C6 particulière remonte à la période de l'immédiat après-guerre quand elle appartenait à M. Thompson, un jeune GI arrivé avec les forces américaines en France. Déjà équipée de garde-boue style motocyclette et d'autres accessoires pour la route, l'Amilcar avait été racheté à un propriétaire de garage dans les Pyrénées et fut pilotée dans la région, ainsi qu'une excursion en Espagne du nord, avant que son propriétaire ne retourne chez lui au début des années 1950. Peu après l'arrivée de l'Amilcar sur la côte est des États-Unis, la liaison entre le vilebrequin et la dynamo se rompit. Supposant que le vilebrequin lui-même était cassé, Thompson vendit la voiture vers 1953 à Otto Linton de Philadelphie. Spécialisé dans le commerce des voitures étrangères, Linton faisait partie des pionniers des compétitions amateurs en Amérique du Nord, courant sur MG, Osca et Siata dans les courses de la SCCA. Il n'eut jamais le temps de remettre la C6 en état de marche et, au milieu des années 1980, il vendit la voiture à Bob Rubin qui confia sa restauration à Chris Leydon, un des spécialistes américains d'Amilcar.
La restauration entraîna un démontage complet et une reconstruction méticuleuse depuis le châssis nu, au cours de laquelle on s'aperçut que la voiture était remarquablement complète et originale, comme le numéro 39, estampillé sur la plupart des pièces, en attestait. Particulièrement remarquable, le moteur est l'un des très rares moteurs à culasse fixe destinés à la compétition. Le moteur est installé dans le châssis depuis les années 1950, bien que l'on ne puisse être certain qu'il ait été monté à l'usine. Il est à noter que l'agent Amilcar de Londres et le pilote de Brooklands Vernon Balls offraient tous deux en échange standard des moteurs à culasse fixe et paliers à roulements pour les propriétaires avides de puissance.
Sa restauration achevée, l'Amilcar fut achetée pour sa collection de pur-sang automobiles par E. Dean Butler, qui fit procéder à la réfection du moteur en 1994, incluant l'installation d'un vilebrequin Phoenix, de bielles Carillo et de pistons Cosworth. Simultanément, Chris Leydon convertit le vilebrequin aux paliers lisses (à l'exception du palier arrière) pour faciliter l'entretien et la longévité. Ainsi révisée mécaniquement, l'Amilcar participa à la fameuse Colorado Grand, terminant l'épreuve de 5 jours et 1,600 km à travers les montagnes rocheuses sans problème mécanique sérieux, malgré l'altitude et le mauvais temps.
Chris Leydon finit par acheter l'Amilcar pour sa propre collection avant de la vendre à son propriétaire actuel, un collectionneur de la côte est qui possède déjà une écurie de Ferrari, d'Alfa Romeo d'avant-guerre et de Bugatti remarquable. La C6 a participé au Vintage Grand Prix de Pittsburg dans les douze derniers mois et peut être considérée comme la candidate idéale pour d'autres rencontres historiques. Un astucieux système permet d'éviter le démarrage à la manivelle ce qui en fait une voiture bien plus pratique que la plupart de ses contemporaines.
Avec son moteur double arbre à compresseur, son allure classique, sa provenance bien documentée et son bruit d'échappement inimitable, cette remarquable Amilcar C6 possède toutes les qualités les plus enviables d'une voiture de course d'avant-guerre et pour le connaisseur/pilote/collectionneur elle représente une bonne alternative à la sempiternelle Bugatti Grand Prix.

Saleroom notices

  • Please note that this vehicle is subject to EU import taxes and fees. These charges will be invoiced separately by our customs agent, Roger Benaim Transports Internationaux. E. info@rogerbenaim.com T. +33 (0) 146 27 48 48 Bonhams will be unable to release the vehicle to the purchaser until all charges have been paid in full. Veuillez noter que ce véhicule est sujet aux taxes et frais d'importation EU. Ces charges seront facturées directement par notre transitaire, Roger Benaim Transports Internationaux. E. info@rogerbenaim.com T. +33 (0) 146 27 48 48 Bonhams ne sera pas en mesure de remettre le véhicule acquis à l'acquéreur avant que l'intégralité des charges aient été payées en totalité.
Activities
Contacts
  1. Philip Kantor
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Boulevard Saint-Michel 101
    Brussels, 1040
    Belgium
    Work +32 476 879 471