1964 Bentley S3 Coupé
Lot 217
1964 Bentley S3 Continental Drophead Coupé Chassis no. BC52XC Engine no. 26CBC
Sold for €63,250 (US$ 87,411) inc. premium
Auction Details
1964 Bentley S3 Coupé 1964 Bentley S3 Coupé
Lot Details
1964 Bentley S3 Continental Drophead Coupé
Coachwork by H J Mulliner, Park Ward Ltd

Chassis no. BC52XC
Engine no. 26CBC
Described by The Autocar as, 'A new stage in the evolution of the post-war Bentley,' the magnificent Continental sports saloon has been synonymous with effortless high speed cruising in the grand manner since its introduction on the R-Type chassis in 1952. The Bentley Continental was, of course, exclusively a coachbuilt automobile. The firms of H J Mulliner, Park Ward and James Young all offered bodies on the Continental S2 (and S3) chassis, which differed from the standard version by virtue of its four-leading-shoe front brakes, shorter radiator and, up to chassis number 'BC99BY', higher gearing. By far the most striking of the S2 Continentals were those bodied by Rolls-Royce's in-house coachbuilder Park Ward, and this design by Norwegian Vilhelm Koren, with its influential continuous front-to-rear wing line, would continue on the Continental S3. Quad headlamps were the S3's major styling innovation, and on the H J Mulliner, Park Ward-bodied Continental, were contained in slanting nacelles, giving rise to this model's 'Chinese Eye' sobriquet.
Bentley S3 Continental chassis number 'BC52XC' is one of a mere 76 of its type bodied by H J Mulliner, Park Ward Ltd after the two firms' merger. Originally a right-hand drive model, the car was retailed via Rippon Brothers of Huddersfield and Hoffman's of Halifax and first owned by Mr Hubert Crossley of Brighouse, Yorkshire. Its UK registration was '999 HWT'. Accompanying copy chassis cards record the original colour scheme as 'Rouge Irise' with off-white leather upholstery, headlining and Everflex hood, and black carpets. Special features included a badge bar, power-operated hood, Marchal fog/spotlights beneath the front bumper, electric door windows, whitewall tyres and a Hirschmann electric aerial. Only one other owner is listed: Mr Brian H. Park of Birkdale, Lancashire, who acquired the Bentley in April 1966. It is not known when or by whom it was converted from right- to left-hand drive.
Restored in 2010, the Bentley currently displays a total of 44,068 miles (approximately 71,000 kilometres) on the odometer and is described by the vendor as in generally excellent condition. The car is offered with the aforementioned copy chassis cards and Russian registration document.

No réserve

Décrite par The Autocar comme 'une nouvelle étape dans l'évolution de la Bentley d'après guerre', la superbe berline sport Continental a été synonyme de longues croisières à grande vitesse sans effort et en grand style dès son introduction sur le châssis Type R en 1952. La Bentley Continental était bien entendu une voiture carrossée à l'unité.
Les firmes de HJ Mulliner, Park Ward, James Young proposèrent toutes des carrosseries sur les châssis S2 (et S3) qui différaient de la version standard avec leurs freins avant à quatre mâchoires primaires, leur radiateur moins haut et jusqu'au châssis n° 'BC99BY' d'un rapport final plus long. De loin, les Continental S2 les plus frappantes furent celles réalisées par la carrosserie Park Ward intégrée à Rolls-Royce et ce dessin dû au Norvégien Vilhelm Koren avec sa ligne d'aile continue de l'avant à l'arrière qui fit école sera poursuivi sur la S3. Des doubles projecteurs caractérisaient la S3 qui, sur la Bentley Continental S3 de HJ Mulliner, Park Ward, étaient logés dans des nacelles inclinées qui leur valut le sobriquet de 'Bentley aux yeux bridés'.
La Bentley Continental châssis n° BC52XC est une des 76 voitures de ce type carrossées par par HJ Mulliner, Park Ward après la fusion des deux firmes. Dotée à l'origine de la direction à droite, la voiture fut vendue neuve via Rippon Brothers de Huddersfield et Hoffman's de Halifax au premier propriétaire, M. Hubert Crossley de Brighouse (Yorkshire). Son numéro d'immatriculation était '999 HWT'. Les copies des fiches de fabrication indiquent que la teinte d'origine était 'Rouge Irise' avec sellerie en cuir, ciel de toit et capote Everflex blanc cassé, tapis noir. Les équipements spéciaux comprenaient une barre porte-écussons, une capote électrique, des phares antibrouillard et longue portée Marchal sous le pare-chocs avant, des glaces électriques, des pneus à flancs blancs et une antenne électrique Hirschmann. Un seul propriétaire est ensuite indiqué, M. Brian H. Park de Birkdale (Lancashire) qui acheta la Bentley en avril 1966. On ignore quand et par qui elle a été transformée en conduite à gauche.
Restaurée en 2010, la Bentley affiche environ 71,000 km au compteur, décrite par le vendeur comme étant en très bon état général. La voiture est offerte avec les copies des fiches d'usine susmentionnées et un titre d'immatriculation russe.

Sans réserve

Saleroom notices

  • Please note that this vehicle is subject to EU import taxes and fees. These charges will be invoiced separately by our customs agent, Roger Benaim Transports Internationaux. E. info@rogerbenaim.com T. +33 (0) 146 27 48 48 Bonhams will be unable to release the vehicle to the purchaser until all charges have been paid in full. Veuillez noter que ce véhicule est sujet aux taxes et frais d'importation EU. Ces charges seront facturées directement par notre transitaire, Roger Benaim Transports Internationaux. E. info@rogerbenaim.com T. +33 (0) 146 27 48 48 Bonhams ne sera pas en mesure de remettre le véhicule acquis à l'acquéreur avant que l'intégralité des charges aient été payées en totalité.
Activities
Contacts
  1. Philip Kantor
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Boulevard Saint-Michel 101
    Brussels, 1040
    Belgium
    Work +32 476 879 471