1924 Della Ferrera 130cc Lightweight
Frame no. 28-218
Engine no. 26-218
The Della Ferrera brothers founded their motorcycle company in Turin in 1909 and swiftly grew to become one of Italy's foremost manufacturers. Their first motorcycle was powered by a 330cc four-stroke single, which was progressively increased in size. A 500cc v-twin with overhead valves was added to the range in 1913, followed by a 500cc four-valve single the following year. Production continued after The Great War with a range of predominantly four-stroke models of varying capacities, including some very successful 500cc racers powered by overhead-camshaft engines, the cams being driven by exposed chains. In a departure from the norm, in 1924 Della Ferrera introduced a 130cc two-stroke lightweight, which was unusual in employing an engine of the 'split single' type most commonly associated with Garelli and Puch. In the Della Ferrera design the two pistons shared the single connecting rod, employing a long gudgeon pin; an elongated combustion chamber bridged the two cylinders, one of which incorporated the inlet and transfer ports while the other looked after the exhaust phase. This original and un-restored example of Della Ferrera's extremely rare two-stroke is offered with extracts from related literature.