NAVAL ARCHIVEYEOMAN FRED J. BUENZLE.
This lot features a collection of manuscripts, photographs, and correspondence relating to the life and career of Yeoman Fred. J. Buenzle [1873-1946]. Buenzle enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1889 at the age of 16, and saw service the Caribbean and elsewhere; by 1893, weary of Navy life, he took his discharge in Shanghai; but reenlisted later. In 1898, after the sinking of the Maine Buenzle served as stenographer for the court of inquiry led by Captain Sampson in Havana. Later he ran the yeoman school at Newport, and after his retirement, became a farmer in California. During his career and after he agitated for the rights of enlisted men.
Buenzle's archive includes the following:
1. Autograph Manuscript Signed, approximately 82 pp recto and verso, 4to, various places including Newport and the Caribbean, May 9, 1889 to May 16, 1890, being an account of Buenzle's first year in the Navy, 2 large albumen prints of St. Thomas laid in, along with souvenir postcards and clippings. Likely an important resource for Buenzle's memoir, Bluejacket (1939).
2. Autograph Manuscript Signed ("Fred J. Buenzle"), 17 pp, 4to, n.p., c. 1893, being a narrative of a trip upriver taken during his brief hiatus from military service.
3. Small album with approximately 80 silver gelatin print photos laid down to leaves, images various sizes (2 x 4 to 4 x 6 inches), including images of the U.S. fleet in Guantanamo Bay and other images in and around Havana, 1898.
4. Large album with approximately 100 silver gelatin print photos laid down to leaves, image size varies (2 x 3 to 6 x 8 inches), includes images of Naval training and Cuba as well as Buenzle family images from Newport and Palo Alto, binding perished.
5. 2 copies of his typed manuscript, approximately 317 pp each, n.p., 1940s, being the unpublished manuscript of "That Mutiny of Ours," a narrative of the 1842 alleged mutiny aboard the U.S.S. Somers which led to the execution of three sailors without benefit of a proper trial, one copy bound in brads, the other loose, some wear and creasing to both.
Lot also includes a collection of naval correspondence, 1890s, a copy of Buenzle's 1939 memoir, shipboard publications, and photos of Buenzle's California homestead, among other items.
Books, Maps and Manuscripts
Auction terms and conditions