Two René Lalique molded yellow glass plaques: Fruits
commissioned for the Oviatt building, 1927-1928 Marcilhac page 906 unsigned
height 14 1/8in (36cm); width 14in (35.6cm)
The James Oviatt building was the first Art Deco structure in Downtown Los Angeles and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Oviatt building originally housed the high end Alexander and Oviatt department store which is known to have clothed many of the most important Hollywood celebrities of the day. Inspired by his visit to the 1925 Paris Decorative Arts Exposition, the haberdasher, James Oviatt hired a team of French designers to create a luxe Art Deco environment for his building, store and personal two story penthouse. The most famous Parisian designer of the project was René Lalique who personally designed the elevator door panels, front and side doors, hanging lights and a clock.