[D'OYLY, CHARLES. 1781-1845.]
[Antiquities of Dacca. London: J. Landseer, c.1814-1827.]
Folio (400 x 320 mm). 20,  pp. 15 engraved plates by John Landseer and others after D'Oyly, one engraved plate of facsimile of writing, 4 half-page engraved illustrations by Landseer after George Chinnery, all on india proof paper. Period green half morocco by Henington, upper cover with gilt-lettered morocco title label. Foxing mostly to text and margins, upper cover detached, worn.
Provenance: Edmund Smith (bookplate); John C. Ropes (ownership inscription dated London, September 26, 1874).
FIRST EDITION, probably bound up from parts. This copy, like the others we have traced, is without a title page, perhaps rendered redundant by parts wrappers. Sir Charles D'Oyly was appointed opium agent in Behar in 1821 and served there from 1828 to 1830 as commercial resident. Little is known about D'Oyly's Behar Amateur Lithographic Press, which he seems to have set up in 1828. "There seems to be no evidence as to whether D'Oyly sold copies of the Behar Amateur Lithographic Press books, or distributed them privately" (Abbey Travel 451, note to another D'Oyly work).