A Berthold Löffler enameled nickel silver hostess pin
designed for the Kabaret Fledermaus, circa 1907 width 1 1/2in (4.5cm)
Literature: Christian Brandstätter, Wiener Werkstätte Design in Vienna 1903-1932, Harry N. Abrams, Inc., New York, 2003, p. 97 for an illustration of an identical pin.
During its twenty-nine year history, one of the most memorable projects realized by the Wiener Werkstätte was the avant garde cabaret known as Fledermaus. Located in the heart of Vienna and completed in 1907 with the financial patronage of Fritz Waerndorfer and the artistic vision of the leading Austrian designers, architects and artists of the day including Josef Hoffmann, Gustav Klimt, Michael Powolny, Berthold Löffler, Franz Karl Delavilla, Oscar Kokoshka and C.O. Czeschka, the theater was brilliantly conceived as a fully integrated work of art. Much of the graphic art produced for publicity purposes was designed by Löffler, a cofounder of Wiener Keramik. Amongst his most recognizable images is that of the Cabaret Federmaus' logo, which was featured not only on the cover of the theater's premiere program but on the monochomatic enameled hostess pins as well.