Clifford's Tower, York signed and dated 'R. EURICH '39' (lower left) oil on canvas 51 x 61 cm. (20 x 24 in.)
PROVENANCE: With The Redfern Gallery, London With New English Art Club, London
EXHIBITED: London, The Redfern Gallery, New English Art Club Exhibition, 1946, no.64
Perched on a tall mound of earth in the heart of the city of York, the imposing four-lobed design of Clifford's Tower is almost all that remains of York Castle, originally built by William the Conqueror in order to strengthen his military hold over the North of England. After serving as a key stronghold throughout the medieval period the tower ended its military career in 1684, later adapted and incorporated into the city prison until 1935, at which point the nineteenth century additions were removed revealing the impressive medieval scene to the public once more.