Navy pattern bell, with iron shackle. Incised name and foliate decoration, with a clapper. 12ins. (31cm)diam.
HMS Colossus The first of the "Colossus" Class, 2nd class Batleships. Laid down at Portsmouth Dockyard and launched in 1882, but not commissioned until 1886 because of delays in her main armament. She was the first ship to mount the new 12in. MklV breech loading guns in her central citadel turrets and the first to be constructed all of steel. Her career was spent with the Mediterranean Fleet until she was transferred to the Coastguard in 1893, before joining the reserve in 1901 and then becoming tender to HMS Excellent. Sold out of the Navy in 1906, she was broken up in 1908.