The Welcome in two positions off Tynemouth signed 'J. Scott' and dated 1854 (lower right) oil on canvas 67 x 98cm (26 3/8 x 38 9/16in).
The Welcome, 241-tons, was built at Sunderland in 1838 and first owned by Mr. Thompson of the same port. Designed and rigged as a snow, she began her career trading between Shields and Holland under Captain Booth. After several changes of ownership and routes, by 1854 she was owned by J. Gibbon of Shields who traded her out of the Tyne, mostly to the Baltic. Later the same year however, Welcome was wrecked on Newcome Sand, off Lowestoft, in a force 8 gale on 11th June whilst en route to London with a cargo of coal; fortunately, all nine members of her crew were saved by a passing yawl.
A snow was a two-masted square-rigger, usually no larger than 1,000 tons, very similar to a conventional brig except that the mainsail was carried on a light, auxiliary "snow" mast immediately abaft the mizzen mast. Developed for its usefulness in simplifying sail handling, the gaff supported on this "snow" mast was often loose footed.