A Second World War troopship under destroyer escort bears inscription on the stretcher, bears stamp for the 'Sphere' on stretcher oil on canvas, monochrome 50.8 x 76.2cm (20 x 30in).
Although untitled, the camouflaged liner depicted here is modelled on the elegant Viceroy of India. Ordered for P. & O.'s principal London to Bombay service, Viceroy of India was built by Alexander Stephen & Sons on the Clyde and completed in 1929. Registered at 19,648 tons gross and measuring 612 feet in length, she was powered by two turbo-electric engines and could steam at 19 knots. With this turn of speed and ample passenger accommodation, she was ideal for trooping and was requisitioned for that purpose in 1940. After two years valuable service, she was involved in the Allied landings on north Africa; shortly after disembarking her troops at Algiers, she sailed for England but was torpedoed off Oran on 11th November 1942 with the loss, fortunately, of only 4 lives.