A view across the Hamoaze towards the covered slips and buildings of the naval dockyard at Devonport signed 'R Beechey' (conjoined, lower right) oil on canvas 64.2 x 91.5cm (25 1/4 x 36in).
This attractive panorama, executed from the western shore of the Hamoaze near Torpoint, shows the burgeoning industrial complex at Devonport dockyard which the introduction of steam-powered warships brought about in the mid-nineteenth century. The pair of large chimneys on the extreme left denote the new steam yard near Keyham Point, begun in 1844 and opened in 1853, next to which are the distinctively-shaped 'covered slips' beneath which ships could be built whilst sheltered from the weather. Less prominent, off the bows of the three-decker anchored out in the roadstead, are the sprawling buildings of the Royal William Victualling Yard, begun in 1827 and completed in 1832, whilst above the same vessel's stern are the dockyard's defensive fortifications atop Mount Wise. The final landmark to be noted is the obelisk on the grassy hill, above Devil's Point on Mount Edgcumbe, just to the right of centre of this highly detailed and accomplished work.