The battleship H.M.S. King George V flanked by her escorts and overhauling a Greek trading schooner at sea oil on board 30.5 x 47.7cm (12 x 18 3/4in).
PROVENANCE: Private collection, UK
H.M.S. King George V was the nameship of a class of five battleships ordered in 1936 and laid down in various yards. 'KGV', as she was invariably known, was built by Vickers-Armstrong at Barrow-in-Furness, launched in February 1939 and completed in December 1940. Massively armed with 10-14in. guns, she was 745 feet long overall and displaced 44,460 tons fully loaded. Her distinguished wartime career included the searches for both of the German capital ships Scharnhorst and Admiral Scheer although she is principally remembered for her role in the final action which sank the Bismarck. Recommissioned as flagship, Home Fleet, after the War, she was eventually placed in Reserve until scrapped in 1957.