The Golfers' Club: a large copper on wood golfing shield trophy circa 1910
With a large raised central oval with shell surround featuring an Edwardian style gentleman golfer, other golfers, caddies and gallery with a plaque above inscribed, 'President the Right Hon. A.J. Balfour MP, Vice President Horace G. Hutchinson Esqre, Chairman Colonel T. J. Holland C.B.' There are 16 silver winner's shields around the trophy, the majority of names and dates are indistinct.
28 x 21 inches
Horace G. Hutchinson (1859 - 1932) was a prolific golf writer, authoring or editing over 50 books.
In 1885 he was the runner-up in the inaugural Amateur Championship but was Champion in 1886 and 1887. In 1903 he was again runner-up in the Amateur Championship. Hutchinson was also
the first Englishman to be Captain of the Royal & Ancient.
The Golfers' Club was established in 1893 on a social and political basis to provide a headquarters in London for the association of all those interested in golf. Distinguished early members included The Right Honorable Arthur James Balfour, Prime Minister of Great Britain 1902-1905, A.J. Robertson, founder as well as Horace Hutchinson the first editor of Golf (later Golf Illustrated). in 1978 the Golfers' Club had taken up residence at London's Sloane Club and its many trophies were displayed in the bar area. However with declining membership numbers and ever increasing operating costs, the Golfers' Club was soon insolvent.