Northgate Street, Chester signed 'Louise Rayner' (lower right) watercolour and bodycolour 28 x 46.5cm (11 x 18 5/16in).
Louise Rayner depicted Northgate Street far less frequently than Chester's other main thorough fares. 'The Bluebell' features prominently in this composition, with its 15th century double bay extending over the pavement. The building to its right 'Hincks' shop, has been replaced with a very similar building. The stone gate post and yard on the right are the site of the firestation, which was built in 1911 and is now 'Chez Jules' restaurant. The three story facade of 'The Pied Bull' is at the end of this row of buildings, before the street broadens out into the market place before the Town Hall.
The left of the picture shows the sash windowed Georgian terraced buildings on the east side of the street as it disappears towards Shoemakers Row. These were mostly replaced with similar terraced developments in the later 19th and early 20th century. The skyline is dominated by the tower and spire of the Town Hall designed by William Henry Lynn, built 1865-69.