The Great White Horse Hotel, Ipswich signed and dated 'Henry Davy 1859' (lower left), watercolour 28 x 43cm (11 x 16 15/16in).
Originally known as The Tavern, The Great White Horse Hotel opened in 1518 and subsequently became one of Ipswich's most celebrated landmarks, it was frequented by many notable figures including Charles Dickens who stayed in the Hotel in 1835 and immortalised it in 'The Pickwick Papers', describing it thus:
In the main street of Ipswich, on the left-hand side of the way, a short distance after you have passed through the open space fronting the Town Hall, stands an inn known far and wide by the appellation of The Great White Horse, rendered the more conspicuous by a stone statue of some rampacious animal with flowing mane and tail, distantly resembling an insane cart-horse, which is elevated above the principal door. The Great White Horse is famous in the neighbourhood, in the same degree as a prize ox, or county paper-chronicled turnip, or unwieldy pig - for its enormous size. Never were such labyrinths of uncarpeted passages, such clusters of mouldy, ill-lighted rooms, such huge numbers of small dens for eating or sleeping in, beneath any one roof, as are collected together between the four walls of the Great White Horse at Ipswich.
The horse statue is now best known as the inspiration for the Ipswich Town Football Club logo.