View of the Coade Stone Factory, Lambeth watercolour 20 x 29cm (7 7/8 x 11 7/16in).
This view shows Coade's Artificial Stone Manufactory at Kings Arms Stairs, Narrow Wall, Lambeth, a site now under the Royal Festival Hall.
Coade Stone, first created around 1770, was named after Mrs Eleanor Coade. It was a high-fired ceramic stoneware, used for moulding Neoclassical statues, architectural decorations and garden ornaments.
Produced by appointment to George III and the Prince Regent, it was used for architectural embellishments and features on St George's Chapel, Windsor, The Royal Pavilion, Carlton House and the Royal Naval College, Greenwich, and notably the refururbishment of Buckingham Palace in the 1820s. Production came to an end in the early 1840s.